Parenting is probably the toughest job on the planet. We are so invested in the outcome so it’s really easy to feel inadequate, overwhelmed and uncertain about whether we are doing a decent job. The truth is that there is no one right way to parent; the trick is finding the way that is right for you and your family.
You are a good parent. You know your child. Sometimes though it is really helpful to learn about various personal development tools, different parenting techniques and child development in order to have a variety of tools in your parenting toolkit. Experiment and listen to your gut about which ones would fit into and help your family.
Here are five ways in which mindfulness may benefit families today in what sometimes feels like a world too busy to recognize a moment for all that it is worth. We hope these ideas will bring you closer to your children and closer to yourself.
1. Mindfulness will allow you to experience your children fully and remember their childhoods. Vividly. There is no regret for times gone by when you have experienced it fully.
2. Mindfulness will allow you to live forward. No more dwelling on the meltdown that you handled badly at the restaurant last night. No more worries about what you could-have, should-have done better. In mindfulness all that matters is that you are seeing your child and experiencing them right now. Given a generally healthy home, being truly with your child in this current moment can repair mistakes you might have made in days, even years past.
3. In mindfulness you will be in tune with yourself, uncluttered by thoughts of the past or future. In mindfulness, the good and bad opinion of others of you will carry less weight.
4. Mindfulness will allow you to forgive yourself more readily when you act in unmindful ways (which you will). Every moment, given a chance, is overflowing with love. Every moment is a miracle really. Just breathing alone is a remarkable experience given the attention it deserves. Start there. It is proof that we are so much more than what we do or think or collect. When you've "failed," finding the moment may heal you in an instant and allow you to start again in love. You will find love for yourself in the moment first. Love for all others will follow.
5. Mindfulness will set you free. You will experience more joy. You will feel happier. You will have more energy. You will be filled with love. You will realize again and again and again all that this world has to offer when we are present and looking and aware.
Imagine how staying in the present moment and bringing compassion to every experience could impact your life?
When you begin to incorporate mindful awareness, an understanding of brain development and self-awareness into your life; doors open; anxiety disappears; and you can experience peace and confidence in each moment. All of this leads to a family who is more confident, happy and at peace.
If this way of living appeals to you we invite you to schedule a 15 minute consultation to learn more about how Jen could support you and your family. You will learn how to incorporate mindfulness into your life for greater peace of mind and deeper self awareness about what you life needs to be amazing.